Thursday 15 January 2015

Sydney to Honolulu


Sydney-Honolulu

 

There’s a first time for everything. Generally we remember firsts, they stand out in our memory because those moments or experiences are unique. Today I was reminded of the time my 18-year-old nephew first drank from a straw. He only was about 8 months old then, and my sister and I were in a pub in Alexandria, having just connected at Sydney Airport. Dad was with us, and the Bathurst races were on.

That’s how we found ourselves sitting in a pub in Alexandria, teaching an 8 month old how to sip fizzy from a straw. Dad wanted to watch the start of Bathurst. As my nephew  sucked up through the straw, his little face wrinkled when the bubbles effervesced up his nose and tingled his tongue, and we realised it was also his first fizzy drink.
Seventeen years later, I’m back in Alexandria in a funky restaurant with a real live macaw as front of house greeter, plants covering walls and ceiling, soft water misting through the plants, and a cool soundtrack matched only by the on trend menu served up by hip staff.
Today is another first. I’m on my way to the airport to fly out on a 3-month round the world adventure, and I’m travelling solo. A few years ago I would never have imagined it, but here I am. Having a farewell lunch with sister and step-mum before I jet away.
Sometimes the universe makes it clear when it’s time to make a change, do something different, take a chance, and get out of the comfort zone. Late last year saw three things line up to suggest it was my time. A 12 month contract I was working ended in December, my landlady decided to renovate and sell so gave me notice to vacate in December, and my country property sold and financial settlement completed after a 24-year marriage. The triple closure meant it was a time of taking stock, re-assessing priorities, deciding to be brave and do something different. And here I am now, at 37,000 feet, on my way to Hawaii. Wow.
One purple suitcase in the hold underneath, contains three compression bags. One full of clothes for mild temps of Hawaii in winter (15-25), another full of clothes for winter in New York City, Germany and Greece, the final one full of clothes for the tropical humidity of Thailand and Bali. Coming in at just under 20kg, I’ve done well considering the huge climate variations I travel through. 

My carry-on bag weighs 7kg and holds my new tablet/laptop, noise cancelling headphones, a travel towel, change of clothes (always be prepared in case the airline loses your luggage),moisturising eye drops, frequent flyer tablets, passport, tickets and some foreign currency.

Let me just say, the noise cancelling headphones are the best investment ever! Crystal clear sound to watch movies or listen to music without the drone of the engines, and also doing a great job of muffling sounds of coughing, kids crying or extroverts yacking to their seat mate in the wee hours of the morning.  If you’ve ever wondered about the value of these tech gadgets, they are worth every cent, as long as you get good quality ones and make sure they have “active noise cancelling” not just “passive”.

So I determined to be open and go with the flow on this trip. To make no predetermined judgements about fellow travellers, destinations or experiences. To simply take each one as they came. This new intention hit home fast as I met my first flight seatmate. She was slim and tanned and looking gorgeous with full makeup. I felt every bit my age as I sat down in my stretchy travel clothes. Then we started chatting and my jaw dropped as I heard her story. Just out of hospital after a double mastectomy because of cancer and she was going to Hawaii to rest and recuperate. As her story unfolded, a life of challenges and tears, she displayed the most beautiful spirit and attitude.
Connecting with this young woman was inspiring, humbling and the most amazing way to start my journey. The universe always tests us when we say we are going to do a certain thing. Meeting this wonderful young woman on the plane tested my intentions and smiled on me when I chose to meet the challenge and not take someone at face value. We are so quick to judge others, we like to quickly label or categorise them, put them in a mental box and then move on. There are so many wonderful people and their stories, to hear about, witness and learn from.
Arriving at Honolulu, we each went our own way, her to recovery space and I to the windward side of Oahu Island. Three days at Kailua Beach with unseasonably warm weather and clear blue skies was the best introduction to Hawaii.


I met this group of giggling Japanese girls on Kailua beach. Everyone else on the beach was watching them from afar. Not wanting to miss a very cute photo opportunity, I went straight up and introduced myself. They were so excited to have someone interact with them and even though my Japanese consists of a couple of words and their English was the same level, we shared a fun few minutes on the beach, laughing, taking photos and amusing all the other beachgoers.

No comments:

Post a Comment