Saturday 31 January 2015

Escaping the New York blizzard in favour of Frankfurt

As the plane taxis out on the runway and rises into the air, there is a cheer from the passengers on board. We are the last plane cleared for take-off before they close JFK airport due to the blizzard. If relief is a tangible thing, you could virtually touch it in the cabin, as every passenger smiled at being one of the lucky ones to get out, not having to kill time in a metropolis shutdown by a blizzard.


My seat mate on this flight is a young European guy returning home to the Black Forest in Germany after his first visit to New York. It is something we have in common – first NYC trip - and we start a conversation which lasts the entire flight from New York to Frankfurt. Sharing stories of our New York adventures, the conversation moved onto a wide variety of topics, and also included his ‘local’ advice for my trip in Europe.

It’s a funny thing, getting hints and tips from other travellers. Sometimes we can get the inside story on a place and enjoy some great experiences as a result. Other times we spend time and money to go somewhere or do something based on their recommendation, but it just doesn’t hit the spot. Goes to show we all have different ideas of “must see, must do” when travelling. But part of the journey is taking unexpected side trips and learning about a place as you go.

The key is being open to trying something different and willing to accept it if the experience does not live up to our expectation. We put so  much pressure on ourselves when we travel, itinerary in hand rushing from place to place, trying to extract maximum  value from every dollar and hour spent. This trip, my first solo adventure around the world, is about me taking baby steps to learn a new way to travel, where the value is in what I learn and who I become as part of the experience.

So anyway, the plane lands in Frankfurt. I ask the ‘local’ about the train from airport to city. “Oh I don’t think there is a train,” he says, “you will need to get a taxi.” I’m sure I read somewhere about the airport train, but it’s been a 10 hr flight and I have not slept a wink, so I go for the easy option and pay stupid money for a taxi. I have booked into a cheapie hostel for a couple of nights and the cost of getting a taxi, just took any saving I made from that accommodation choice. Cest La Vie. Go with the flow.

For a cheapie hostel it turns out to be a pretty good deal. A huge private bedroom with double bed and ensuite. Sure, I had to walk through the red light district of Frankfurt to get anywhere, but that in itself was an interesting experience. One place looked like a western saloon bar with different paper-mache people on each little balcony. Others had neon-lit entries, like some strange cross between Hong Kong and Las Vegas, right in the heart of Frankfurt.



First morning in Germany I had a real pretzel. Yes, my seatmate on the plane laughed when I said I ate a pretzel at Grand Central Station in New York. “Pretzels are German! You have not had a real pretzel till you have had one in Germany!” he declared. So the challenge was on. Compare pretzels. And yes, I have to agree. German pretzels taste better, fuller flavours, and much fresher.


Being the largest finance/commercial city in continental Europe, and host to many large international trade fairs, Frankfurt is not a big tourist destination in and of itself. But its central location in Europe makes it a huge transport hub, with planes and trains from many other countries connecting here.

Still, despite everyone questioning why I would actually stay in Frankfurt, I spent a few nights here which allowed me time to take a leisurely stroll along the Main River and through the streets of the city.


The medieval feel of the architecture at Romer Square was fabulous.  I met a charismatic local who owned a cafe overlooking the square. He was a movie star about 30 years ago. He'd written a book and gifted me a copy with a message of L’amour inside the cover.

While in that cafe I decide on my plan of action for the next part of my journey. A German Rail Pass, with a side trip to Amsterdam. I enjoyed catching the Eurostar several years back and want to experience more European train travel. It beats the airport palava hands down. Rock up ten mins before, board train with bag, stow bag and choose a seat. Get comfy for the ride and enjoy the view.

On the way back to my hotel room, I walked via the station and organised a German Rail Pass. Tomorrow I would take a train ride to Amsterdam!

No comments:

Post a Comment