Monday 8 December 2014

Walking around the world


Yes you read that right. I am going to walk around the world. As much as possible I will be using my feet to take me places. A big believer in slow travel, the art of wandering, and exploring little laneways, tucked away places, things that call to my curiosity - the antithesis of the Lonely Planet traveller. But then I guess that's almost a cliche thing to say now too.

Now don't get me wrong, I will be flying between continents, but am planning to put some frequent walker miles on my feet too. A pair of ankle boots for Europe (think classic fashion, not doc martins or hiking boots) and some walking sandals for Hawaii and Asia will hopefully help me stride out in style and comfort.

I love exploring a city on foot. Its a pace that allows for discovery. Time to wander aimlessly and follow my nose to what smells, looks, sounds interesting. All my favourite most treasured memories of travel are those experiences which were simply stumbled across, not on a planned itinerary of ticking off the 10 most popular spots to visit.

For instance, in Paris, yes, I went to see the Eiffel tower, even though it was snowing, and you could see it from many vantage points around the city - my favourite being from Montmartre and the Sacre-Coeur.

Eiffel Tower from Montmartre, original pic by KBQ

And I had another reason to go to the tower. Ten days before I left my remote island in Australia's largest inland waterway, someone planted a travelbug in a geocache right near my house. Finno the Frog wanted to get to Paris. Oh Wow! Count me in. Those were the days when I was a mad cacher.


Finno the Frog gets to see the Eiffel Tower,
before I hid him in a cache at Jardin des Tuileries.

But I didn't actually go up the tower. Quelle horreur! But quite frankly I was not prepared to spend half a day in a line waiting to get a view not dissimilar from the steps of Sacre Coeur.

Walking around a city allows you to see the real place.
Like the local Parisian lady taking her pooch for a walk. 

When in the States I loved visiting Amish Country. A highlight was a ride in one of their buggy's and the dear gentle man allowed me to take the reins and try to drive his pride and joy in the traffic. Much laughter as the horse refused to follow my lead and we ended up bumping over the gutter at one point. So, i got a big fat F as as a buggy driver..... but what an experience. Those guys know all about the simple life. And for a day it was lovely to step into their world.



Last year I created a mini vision board and one of the elements that has really stuck in my consciousness were the words: 

"You see a lot more travelling at 2 kms an hour". 



Let this be my mantra.

One month in the US (Hawaii, New York City)
one month in Europe (Germany, Netherlands and Greece)
one month in Sth East Asia (Bangkok, Bali)


bon voyage?


bring it on babe!

12 comments:

  1. Bravo on your new blog!
    I'm a big believer in backroads and booting it around
    so I'll be tagging along beside
    with a whole lot of joy:)
    Happy trails, friend,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, I missed blogland, but always knew it was for a.season. It's.time! In so many ways. Glad to have you as a journeymate.

      Delete
  2. Bon Voyage! Looking forward to sharing in your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, your cafe was a space where I could tap back into my source. A place to rest and refuel for the next part of the journey :-) Thanks for joining me here.

      Delete
  3. I am in awe of your courage, and your plans, Kel. I look forward to traveling along with you. I prefer my feet on the ground and the idea of walking tour has been on my mind for several years now. Wishing you traveling mercies along with some great adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin! I saw some of those shoes with toes (vibram?) in a travel store and they reminded me of you :-)

      Delete
  4. So exciting to share vicariously in your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no UK in the first round Tess, maybe next trip

      Delete
  5. I too, love walking around a city. Enjoy your trip and I look forward to reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to connect here too Amanda. So love seeing your art bloom and prosper :-)

      Delete
  6. finally!!!!

    have a wonderful, exciting and peaceful journey..."have street map - will travel" always my mantra in new cities...travel safely my friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made it :-)
      Well done ms crichton
      Thanx for the travel blessings

      Delete